Monday 2 June 2014

After one week cooling

This is what the beer looks like after one week in the fridge. It looks ready and it tastes quite good already. I still think it will benefit significantly from more time though. It still has a bit of a 'wild' aftertaste. The foam is good at the start but it starts to dissipate quite quickly. Having said that, I noticed that the standard Taufkirchner beer has a foam that also falls away quickly too. I'm not too concerned about it. A Klosterbier isn't renowned for having a lot of stable foam anyway. Drinking it out of the bottle actually seems to produce a better taste, which I can't explain. Possibly because of the CO2 bottleneck.

Speaking of CO2, the beer has settled a lot since last week - where it was fizzy like coke. This week it is much more like a beer. I'm still hoping it'll settle a bit more. We'll see next week. In the meantime I bought a PartyStar Deluxe keg dispenser for the 5l kegs (a tap that uses small CO2 cartridges - you can see it in action here) and a couple of empty 5l kegs. Filling the kegs goes much faster than filling bottles. I reckon per 20l brew I could easily fill 2x5l into kegs and put the rest into bottles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment